Search This Blog

Thursday 9 January 2020

A Dementia Murder/Suicide

From December 29, 2019 New York Times story by Corina Knoll
It is very hard for many dementia carers to reach out to friends.  It's certainly been a challenge for me.  It seems sometimes like just keeping myself from falling into utter despair so that I can continue caregiving is all I can do.  But I keep at it, reminding people how much I need them when I have the energy to do so.  As I noted in a previous post, I have addiction issues around MaryJane and I fall into the recovery/relapse.  When I get high, I don't mind people forgetting me.  But I also fail to reach out when I'm high.
The result of not reaching out can be found in this story in the New York Times about Richard and Alma Shaver.  They were married for 60 years.  She got Alzheimer's and in spite of all the advice and offers of help from their children and friends, he refused to allow people into their lives:

No comments:

Post a Comment