Search This Blog

Friday 20 December 2019

Little Happinesses Again

Lucas Favre on Unsplash
Yesterday he filled out and cashed a check for "cash" at the bank!  I felt so happy that he was able to do that!

We were out shopping for his Christmas present to me.  I had suggested earlier in the day that we would go shopping for my Christmas present he had checked for a credit card in his wallet.  I've cut up all but one of his credit cards and was worried that he would be upset but he wasn't.  He found the one card.  Later, before we actually went out (after he had a nap) he searched for his checkbook.  He couldn't find it but I found the stack of checkbooks and he took a new one out with us. 

When we got to Silverado I went right to the little box of nice, inexpensive studs and found some sparklies that I know I'll like.  I didn't want him to try and write a check there in the store because the gal might have gotten impatient with him and I hadn't brought my "dementia cards" with me.  So I gave him the $24 they cost and told him to have them gift wrap.  Then I walked around to look at other jewelry while keeping an eye on him.

And YAY -- he did it!  He paid the money and asked for the earrings to be gift wrapped.  At one point he got his wallet out and started looking at cards (having forgotten, I suppose, that he gave them cash) and I walked up close to the counter to monitor any errors.  But the clerk got the earrings into a box and into a bag.  Then we went to the bank where he filled out a check and got $70.  Why 70?  I don't know.  He doesn't have a sense of how much things cost anymore.  But I was so excited to see him do this old behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment