Search This Blog

Friday 21 August 2020

"I think you'll like him"

 I was thinking about when I first saw him.  I could call it love at first sight.  That's because he was my physical "type" and he was vouched for.  What happened was that my aunt Huldah Bell pointed him out to me in the darkening theater in the basement of the Fine Arts Building at Idaho State University.  We were there on a Sunday night to see a foreign film as part of the "Cinema 6" program of which Will was a leader.  That nighty it was Bergman's Virgin Spring -- definitely NOT a romance.  Before the movie started she pointed to an hirsute fellow across the isle from us -- he had long hair, a beard, glasses, and looked skinny.  He stood up tall.  Definitely my type.  A shaggy ectomorph.  Not unlike the handsome star of the film.  After pointing to him she said, "That's Will Huck, a friend of mine.  He's weird.  I think you'll like him.

I told my sweetheart about my memory just now and said that I'd always loved him and liked him.  He asked, "How is Huldah Bell?" 

I said, "She's dead."

"When did she die?"

"In 2002 or 3."

"I must have forgotten.  How could I forget that?"

"It's not important," I said.  "You remember the important things -- like that you love your dogs and your wife.  The rest isn't important."

No comments:

Post a Comment