Search This Blog

Friday 29 November 2019

Opthalmologist Visit

photo by V2OSK on Unsplash
I was hoping I'd have more to report at this juncture because on last Friday we got another appointment for this week.  But the doctor's office called on Wednesday morning assuming, rightly, that after our big snowfall I would not want to take my sweetie out -- nor did I want to go ANYwhere that day.  So, only the one visit so far.

Turns out Will's eyes are more messed up than the Costco optometrist had seen.  He has a semi-detached retina in one eye and the other eye is also full of cataracts.

The visit didn't go as badly as it could have but he did use his harsh voice with both the nurse and the doctor and almost went off into one of his long stories about the past.  He also had trouble following directions, tilting his head when he was told to just move his eyes.  I had to hold onto his head at one point.  It was very stressful for both of us, I'm sure.  He showed his stress by using his angry voice when he told the young woman assistant that he was yelling at her because she was yelling at him (she was speaking loudly because he is so hard of hearing and had been saying, "what?").  Granted, she did have a rather grating vocal quality but that wasn't her fault -- just nature.  He also was fierce with the doctor and acted insulted a couple of times.  I sat there occasionally putting my hand on his arm and trying to get him to calm down. 

The doctor said that she wanted her colleague who has more experiences with retinas to look at him and she also suggested we go to Portland.  We'll see.  I can't imagine him at OHSU.  But I also can't imagine me taking care of a blind person.  But then, I could never imagine me taking care of anyone so miracles do happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment